Job title: General Manager, Operations Manager, Contract Manager, Regional Manager
It’s an extremely broad job role requiring experience in multiple areas with the ability to train, monitor and build a strong team through fantastic leadership.
Operations or general management is a senior role which involves overseeing supply and distribution, plus where necessary, the production of goods and/or provision of services. It’s an Operations Manager’s job to make sure an organisation is running as smoothly as possible, with an efficient service that meets the expectations and needs of customers and clients.
All senior roles will require someone that has over 15 years relevant experience as it’ll require an in depth knowledge into all aspects of the process. The main aim is to look after the existing operation but to constantly apply continuous improvement to tweak all areas.
- Improve the operational systems, processes and policies — specifically, support better management reporting, information flow and management, business process and organisational planning.
- Create a safe working environment for employees by putting in place safety measures to prevent accident and complications that may arise during work.
- Supervise activities of workers to ensure that they are hands-on in order to promote hard-work, which is needed for successful deliveries and completion of production tasks to meet clients’ demands and deadlines
- Inspect goods to be delivered to ensure that they are in the right quantity and quality. Supervise the loading of such goods into vehicles for delivery
- Liaise with transportation companies to create a good working relationship and negotiate transportation of goods to prevent hiccups that may arise
- Evaluate transportation costs and other expenses. Verify they are not more than the amount charged to clients, to ensure that a positive account balance is left at the end of every transaction
- Give vivid directions and guidelines to shipping agents about nature of goods and delivery locations, and maintain communication with them to ensure that goods are not damaged on transit
- Prepare invoice for orders and deliveries as part of record keeping measures and evidence of transaction
- Help in recruiting competent and hardworking workers to carry out daily operations at the organization and put them through in discharging their duties
- Keep records of all shipping activities, documenting procedures, guidelines, and changes in procedures for reference purposes
- Manage and increase the effectiveness and efficiency of Support Services (HR, IT and Finance), through improvements to each function as well as coordination and communication between support and business functions.
- Play a significant role in long-term planning, including an initiative geared toward operational excellence.
- Oversee overall financial management, planning, systems and controls.
- Management of agency budget in coordination with the Executive Director.
- Strong planning, decision making, delegation, negotiation and problem solving ability
- Knowledge of business and project management principles and practices
- Have at least 15 years plus experience within Logistics, Distribution or Supply Chain
- Brilliant leadership skills to improve processes and invoke a strong teamwork ethic
- Possess excellent time management to deliver client and customer deadlines
- Multi-tasking, able to run several tasks and projects at any one time
When you reach this level of seniority then a Degree level or Chartered Institute membership is required to justify the ability and experience you bring to the table;
- Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT)
- Institute of Supply Chain Management (IoSCM)
- Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply (CIPS)
- IOSH, COSHH
- BA (Hons) or BSc in a relevant degree (Logistics or Business)
- Level 3 – 7 Chartered Institute of Leadership and Management
- Prince 2 or APMP
- LEAN, Six Sigma (Green or Black Belt)